AbilityFirst programs are person-centered and tailored to individual interests and needs. We have recently resumed in-person programming that was suspended during the pandemic, while retaining the most popular and needed aspects of our virtual and small group “alternative location” activities implemented during the shutdown. This has had the effect of making our programs even more person-centered and varied, providing each person with more opportunities and choices of program options.
We have a variety of online programming that inspires socialization and fun. Not only are the programs fun for our participants, they help them overcome some of the isolation and feelings of anxiety that can result from the disruption of their daily routines.
AbilityFirst programs help to empower individuals to continue to:
- Identify and explore their interests and goals
- Effectively communicate their needs and wants
- Interact in a variety of new activities and environments
- Live healthy and active lifestyles
Some of these activities include:
- Learning new technology and computer skills
- Exploring the local community and volunteering
- Exercise and other physical activities
- Personal care and self-advocacy
Department of Developmental Services Web Site: www.dds.ca.gov/services/
Department of Developmental Services telephone number: 916-654-1987
Pursuant to AB 1402, all Regional Center providers are required to post a link to the page on the Department of Developmental Services’ website that provides a description of the appeals procedure in the Lanterman Developmental Disabilities Services Act. Call 916-654-1958 or click here CA Department of Developmental Services for more information.