Children & Teens
We are offering in-person programming at our centers, with extensive safety procedures in place, while retaining the on-line and alternative services and supports implemented throughout the pandemic. This has made our programs even more person-centered, with more flexibility and responsiveness to individual goals, needs, preferences, and interests.
After School and Summer Programs
AbilityFirst after school and summer programs provide a nurturing environment for school-age youth who have developmental disabilities. Our well-trained and caring staff provides opportunities for new experiences that encourage socialization, exploration, and choice. Participants enjoy an enriching program that also provides needed personal care (including feeding, changing, transferring, etc.) while supporting personal growth and discovery.
Through center-based activities and field trips, AbilityFirst helps participants achieve their personal best in the following areas:
- Basic Life Skills—preparing simple snacks, learning personal care and practicing safety in the community
- Communication—participants work on communicating their basic wants and needs through language skills, body language, picture boards or use of technology
- Socialization—participants increase their ability to interact with their peers, such as respecting personal space, taking turns and making new friends
- Healthy Living—including swim instruction—participants improve and practice healthy living including learning to choose healthy snacks and portion control, and have opportunities to play outside or swim.
Student Services Work Experience is a work-based learning experience that offers students with disabilities who are in high school or a transition program the opportunity to explore work experiences in a variety of real time work settings. The program is offered through California State Department of Rehabilitation.
Program Location Contact Forms
- Claremont Center
- East Los Angeles Center
- Joan and Harry A. Mier Center in Inglewood
- Lawrence L. Frank Center in Pasadena
- Long Beach Center
“I am so happy C is back in your program. She comes home every day with some project she has worked on. She makes sure she places it in her room where she can see it, again and again. I’m so relieved that C a is finally getting some structure and interaction with others. Thank you for all you do for this beautiful population!” – Afterschool Program parent